Category Archives: Association

Association Vacancies

At the Association AGM to be held on Sunday April 9th 2017, 2, if not 3, Officer positions will fall vacant. Those positions are Chairman and Advertising Manager. The current Vice-chair, Chris Garner, has already indicated his willingness to stand for the position of Chairman, so it is also possible that the position of Vice-chair will need filling. Candidates for these posts are invited to apply (there is no requirement for a formal nomination process) Indications of interest should be accompanied by a note confirming which post you are interested in and a short (say side of A4) outline of your background and experience qualifying you for the role. Could I ask Clubs etc to ensure their membership are made aware of these vacancies and encourage applications from those people who you think might be particularly suitable. Interested parties are encouraged to get in touch to discuss any aspect of these positions. I have attached the Job descriptions of each of the three posts which shows the roles and responsibilities. Closing date for applications is the Monday 20th February giving time for applications to be circulated for consideration by Clubs etc before voting at the AGM in April. Hugh Barnes A7CA Secretary
  JOB DESCRIPTION - ADVERTISING MANAGER The Advertising Manager’s job is a voluntary position responsible to the A7CA for promoting and acting as representative for the Austin Seven and the Historic Car Movement:-  Acting as a ‘Focal Point’ for the A7CA Magazine in respect of offering advertising services to the Association in respect to its Member Clubs and Registers of the Association/Individuals, and Overseas Associate Member Clubs/and any Press/Publication Media Groups/Trade or Services connected with the Austin Seven Movement.  Promoting advertising services available for placement in the Austin Seven Clubs’ Association quarterly magazine which is issued January, April, July, October per year.  Pricing advertising rates:- Display Pages (Black/White/Colour) ie:- 1 Page, ½ Page, ¼ Page. Classified Ads, Trade and Services. (See Attachment).  Advertising Rates/fees/non fees for Club advertising ie:- Events/Promotions/Services.  Communication with Advertisers/Clubs per email/post/telephone.  Compiling/agreement of adverts and liaising with A7CA Editor in respect of compilation and approval of advertising to be placed in A7CA magazines.  Invoicing/Collecting monies for Advertising and organising A/c Listing and payments to be paid into A7CA Direct Account/or payable per cheque.  Sending out A7CA magazines to paying Advertisers on a quarterly basis.  Sending out Reminders with “Letter of Thanks for Advertising” to regular advertisers in October with Pro-forma Invoices for booking space in “Next Year A7CA Magazine” JOB DESCRIPTION - CHAIRMAN The Chairman of the Austin 7 Clubs' Association (A7CA) is a voluntary position, voted for by the member clubs of the Association; the incumbent of which is responsible to The Association for: • Acting as focal point for members of the Association, other national historic car movements, the media and the general public • Chairing the four meetings of the Association • Promoting the Austin 7 movement to the general public, the media and the member clubs of the Association • With the secretary, drawing up the agenda for the meetings • Assisting all parties to have discussions in all matters relating to Austin 7’s • To guide discussions where necessary • To sum up discussions and propose votes amongst the member clubs. • To promote co-operation between clubs and groups having an interest in the Austin7 • To have the casting vote where the opinion is equally divided in a general vote JOB DESCRIPTION - VICE-CHAIR Job Description: A voluntary position responsible for: Primarily to support the Chairman where necessary and when requested. Fill in for the Chairman when absent. Can prepare meetings or Committee items and suggestions. Problem solve with Committee members and report back to the Chairman. Understand the strengths and weaknesses of the Committee and convey & discuss with the Chairman

First batch of digitised material

Cn9TOZAWEAAUklaOn Thursday 21st July 2016, members of the Archive Project were joined by staff from Hampshire County Council and Austin Seven Owners in Winchester for the handover of the first batch of digitised material. This marks the beginning of the digitisation of materials from the Archive in Lubenham. All the original material will be available for viewing at the Open Day in August.

VACANCY: Digital Archivist

The Austin 7 Clubs Association Archive Project has a vacancy for a:

Digital Archivist

With the Project to digitise the Association Archive and publish it on the Web now gaining momentum, the Association is seeking to fill the volunteer post of ‘Digital Archivist’. This exciting new post will have the responsibilities of curating of the Digital collection, identifying original materials for digitisation, managing the digitisation process and to maintain a catalogue of the Archive contents. The successful candidate will have excellent communication and computer skills and likely have a background in Archive management, library or IT disciplines. For further details and a job description, please contact Hugh Barnes – archiveproject@a7ca.org

Archive Project Meeting – 19th November 2015

Minutes of Meeting 2 for the Austin 7 Clubs Association Archive Project 19th November 2015 Triumph Sports Six Club, Lubenham
  1. Those present: Phil Baildon – Association Archivist Hugh Barnes – Cambridge Austin 7 and Vintage Car Club Nick Beck – Bristol and Scottish Austin 7 Clubs Chris Garner – Association Vice-chair and PWA7C Andy Lowe – Association Chairman and Midlands Austin 7 Club Dave Martin – Asst Archivist and PWA7C Nick Turley – PWA7C
  2. Apologies for absence: Ruairidh Dunford – Scottish Austin 7 Club Austin Harris – 750MC
  3. Progress report on work items detailed in previous meeting a. The collection has been reorganised This work has not yet started. More ‘formal’ arrangements are to be put in place to provide a regular weekly meeting at Lubenham to focus on this (and other tasks) b. Items moved away from ‘danger’ areas. Complete c. Extra shelving has been acquired and the items moved off the floor This work has not yet started (same arrangements as Collection reorganisation to provide focus) Shelving to be purchased and to expedite the work, pallets or similar will be acquired to get any remaining item off the floor (temporary solution). CG offered some redundant shelving he has for this task. d. Plastic sheeting is covering everything Sheeting has been acquired but needs cutting to size and fitting e. The windows have had UV material applied to them. Complete f. The differing collections have been checked against the prototype catalogue for appropriateness of content This work has not yet started (same arrangements as Collection reorganisation to provide focus) g. The Trophy collection has been photographed This work has not yet started. NT’s offer to photograph the whole collection in his professional capacity (it must be noted, at no cost to the Project/Association) was gratefully accepted. It was pointed out that the whole collection would need some cleaning before being in a satisfactory condition for photographing. NT would arrange for this to be done (this *would* be at some cost to the Project). No timescale is yet available for this work. NT will provide updates as to progress. h. Ian Moore has been approached to establish what copies he has of the Factory Index Cards Ian Moore had been contacted with no response. It was decided not to pursue this any further and scan the Index Cards from scratch i. FM has provided PB with a donation form and that is now being used. Complete j. AL has written to FM’s Boss Complete. Thanks were given for making Faye’s time available to us and the offer of sharing some Swallow related material made k. Web Master approached for Association Web Site enhancements Web site has been enhanced to add ‘Archive Project’ tab and work has commenced on an initial prototype for Digitised archive material display and search facilities. The Web site has also been updated to support regular posting of updates (eg minutes of this group’s meetings) l. Notes on initial progress since flood written up and published Not yet started. PB will complete this by 26/11/2015. m. Minutes of last meeting published The minutes had been published to the group but not yet on the A7CA web site. This was being delayed until the initial progress report was available. It was decided to go ahead with publishing the minutes (both for this meeting and the previous) straight away. HB to liaise with the Web Master and to publicise this on the Austin 7 Friends forum. n. Other Progress Nick Beck has been working through a CD of scanned material that already existed. Of some 243 files on the CD, 50 have been reviewed and descriptions added. It is thought that all these drawings came from Stanley Edge but may not all be Austin 7 related. Eg, some drawings relate to made war time factory layouts etc. Nick will carry on with this work in the coming weeks.
  4. Web Masters Report The draft proposal from Chris Charles was reviewed. A number of points were raised. a) Scans and photos should appear in landscape format where appropriate b) It was noted that the system as outlined would involve creating the catalogue entries for each item directly into the system, replacing the Excel spreadhsheet approach that had been considered up to now. This would ensure that no duplication of data would ever occur and that we would have a single record to maintain. c) ‘Tags’ for each entry would have to be determined and added. This could be done over a period of time and not necessarily when the initial record was created. Tags would be such things (as an example, a photo of Alf Depper in a racing car) the name of the driver, the identity of the car, the location of the photo, the specific race. All records would have a date attribute added to them. The Tags and the date fields (plus other attributes, can be used to ‘filter’ search results d) The Web Master would be asked to enhance his proposal to allow ‘comments’ from users of the system to be added. e) To provide a high quality internet connection for use when entering catalogue data, it was suggested by NT that we should acquire a mobile wifi device from a suitable (mobile phone) provider. This and other options that TSSC can provide to be explored It was unanimously agreed by those present that Chris should be heartily congratulated for his work which, it must be remembered, he is doing round his University studies.
  5. Inventory As part of the discussion around the catalogue entries, it was also recognised that we still need a ‘high level’ inventory of the Archive. This will be of the form category, number of items. This will help us in 2 ways – It will help us in determining the different categories we have and with a count of the number of items, it will help in pricing external services when we get items scanned. This item will be added to the work list
  6. Formal reporting to the Association. It was decided that formal reporting from this Project in the form of these minutes and other documents would be sufficient. Those members of this group who attend the quarterly Association meetings would be available to answer any questions.
  7. Budget Discussion took place on the topic of creating a suitable budget for the Project and a formal request to the Association for the provision of funds. It was decided that an initial sum of £5000 would be requested to start the project with the comment that an amount of up to £20,000 would be required to complete the project. The initial amount would enable us to commence the project and start publishing the digital archive and would give us a better grasp on likely future costs, meaning we could provide a more accurate budget figure. It was agreed that the initial phase would cover professional scanning of the Austin parts Index cards, the Handbooks and Parts Lists and colour brochures.
  8. Staffing This item covers two aspects – the organisation of ‘volunteers’ and the provision of paid staff to enter the catalogue data. It was decided that for the volunteers, a particular day per week would be nominated as ‘Archive Day’, so there would be a specific day per week that a group could gather and focus on the strands of work. A paid member of ‘staff’ would be sought to expedite the entry of data into the catalogue. This would require a certain amount of work by the volunteers to ready the data for entry. It was suggested that that person would work on the specified day of the week so as to be able to answer any questions that may arise during the data entry phase. A suitable ‘staff’ member needs to be found. Initially, PB will contact the Leicester Records office for advice, where we have had help from in the past with Archive services.
  9. AOB It was noted that as a by-product of staff being at Lubenham on a regular weekly basis, in the New Year, when the collection has been re-organised, the collection would be available to visitors (though still by appointment).
  10. Date of next meeting The next meeting will be at Gaydon after the Association Meeting on 10th January, 2016
  11. Work list for next period.
a. The Collection to be reorganised (Action PB, DM et al) b. Extra shelving to be required and items moved off floor (Action PB, DM et al) c. The differing collections have been checked against the catalogue data entry system (Action PB, DM et al) d. Collection covered with plastic sheeting when not in use (Action PB, DM et al) e. The Trophy Collection photography is in progress (Action NT) f. Notes of the initial progress since flood written up and published (Action PB) g. Create ‘high level’ inventory (Action PB, DM et al) h. Minutes of all meetings published (Action HB) i. Budget request proposal to be worded and forwarded to Association Secretary for inclusion in agenda for next association Meeting (Action AL) j. Extend room booking at Gaydon after next Association meeting (AL via Association Secretary) k. Explore options to provide high capacity internet connection from Archive room (Action PB) l. Research options for ‘paid help’ – contact Leicester Records Office for advice (Action PB) Hugh Barnes 19th November 2015