Archives

Archive Open Day 2017

Just a reminder that the Association Archive will be holding its next Open Day on Sunday April 2nd 2017. The Archive, as you may remember, is held at the Headquarters of the Triumph Six Sports Club, Main St., Lubenham, Market Harborough LE16 9TF. The Archive will be open between 10am and 4pm and there will be displays of the various collections we hold. Members of the Archive Project team will be on hand to help you explore the collections and talk about our progress with the Project so far and our plans for the future. The last Open Day was very well received and hopefully, those of you who were unable to come last time, will be able to arrange it for this time. Teas and Coffee will be available and there are a couple of decent pubs in the village that do food for those of you looking for something more substantial..

AGM 2017

The A7CA AGM which will take place on Sunday April 9th at the Green Man, Dunchurch, Rugby. Please note the change of venue within the village as, hopefully, the new venue will provide us with better meeting space. We are slightly formalising things this year in that the AGM will be just that, reports from Officers on the previous year's achievements and plans for the year ahead, election of Officers, Revision to the Constitution and Awards of Trophies. Please note, the voting for the adoption of the revised Constitution will be a 'Members' vote - ie the 18 Austin 7 Clubs who are 'full' members of the Association and that an AGM does not include an agenda item of AOB. We have nominations for the 2 posts of Chairman and Vice-chairman but still seek a nomination for the post of Advertising Manager.

DOWNLOAD THE AGENDA NOW

Outstanding Website of the Year

THE ONLINE AUSTIN SEVEN ARCHIVE WEBSITE HAS BEEN SHORTLISTED FOR OUTSTANDING WEBSITE OF THE YEAR

Visit the website by CLICKING HERE

• Finalists revealed in eight of the 16 award categories • 205 clubs and members received nominations • Six awards to be decided at Practical Classics Classic Car & Restoration Show • Winners announced at award ceremony on 1st April The finalists in the 2017 National Car Club Awards, in association with Tourism Ireland, have been revealed. This year has seen the most nominations from clubs and club members to date. Supported by Classic Car Weekly, and endorsed by the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs, the overall Award winners will be announced at the awards dinner on Saturday 1st April at Birmingham’s NEC. Lee Masters, Director of The National Car Club Awards, said: “We had 209 nominations, which is 25 more than the inaugural year and it’s fantastic to see the clubs embrace these awards. Once again, the standard of entries was extremely high with a fantastic mix of clubs of all sizes. “Some of the categories had over 30 entries and reducing these down to a shortlist was extremely difficult, making that place on the shortlist even more valuable and an incredible achievement.” A total of 16 awards will be presented at the glittering ceremony, hosted by Mike Brewer alongside the Practical Classics Classic Car & Restoration Show. The shortlist covers eight of the award categories with the finalists for the Lifetime Achievement award still to be decided. The other six awards will be decided by the judges on Saturday and presented their prize at the awards dinner. There will then be a ‘Judges Special Recognition Award’ presented to a club that the panel feel has gone the extra mile in the classic motoring movement. Two members from every club shortlisted for an award have been invited to attend as guests of the National Car Club Awards and Tourism Ireland and will be treated to a drinks reception and a complimentary three-course dinner. Further tickets will be on sale for those wishing to attend. For more information, visit www.nationalcarclubawards.com

Archive Project Meeting – 26th January 2017

Austin 7 Clubs Association Archive project, Meeting No.11 Thursday, January 26th 10:30am Triumph Sports 6 Club, 36 Main St, Lubenham, Market Harborough LE16 9TF

Those present: Andy Lowe – Association Chairman Chris Garner – Association Vice-chair and PWA7C Nick Beck – Scottish and Bristol A7 Clubs Phil Baildon – Association Archivist Ruairidh Dunford – Scottish Austin 7 Club (on Skype) Hugh Barnes – Cambridge Austin 7 Club
  1. Apologies for absence
Dave Martin – Assistant Archivist & PWA7C Nick Turley – PWA7C Chris Charles – Association WebMaster Fenella Leigh – Cambridge Austin 7 Club
  1. Minutes of meeting 10
Were deemed correct
  1. Progress since last meeting
  1. PB,CG to have arranged to meet (or preferably have met) with owners of collection of archive materials
Both visits will take place in the next couple of weeks (and definitely before the next Team meeting)
  1. HB Paint project ongoing work
HB continues to work with the A10DC – providing them with details of the cards we have had access to and negotiating whether we could borrow theirs for photographing (depends on NT’s availability) The set consists of some 48 cards.
  1. PB to follow up with contact for Stanley Edge Military material
The gentleman who will visit is waiting for the weather to improve before he travels to view the collection
  1. CG – Clayton DeWandre materials long term home
CG took the collection with him and will transport to Lincoln when convenient
  1. NT further interview candidates identified (CG to follow up with Austin Apprentices, AL to follow up with Austin Village)
Ian Dunford to be next interview candidate. CG is in contact with Ex-Apprentices organisation. AL has written to 2 local Birmingham papers and placed an advert in the Austin Sports and Social Club. PB will contact Barney Sharatt, author of Men and Motors of the Austin – the inside story of Longbridge
  1. HB to create photo catalogue spreadsheet ‘pro-forma’ for trial
  2. HB to organise a ‘how to’ document for cataloguing photos
  3. HB to discuss trial photo publication with CC
See item 5 in minutes that covers Progress items f, g and h
  1. Scanner
Through the extraordinary generosity of an Austin 7 owner (who wishes to remain anonymous) and good fortune, we have been donated by an exactly the type of scanner we had been recommended to acquire by both Hampshire County Record (HCC) office and Faye McLoed, Archivist at Jaguar LandRover. Currently, this is at HB’s house where he is learning the complexities of the ‘Professional’ settings on the software used to drive it. Very high quality images should be created using it, hopefully reducing our reliance on HCC and therefore, Project costs. There will still be specific artefacts that will require the more professional workmanship of HCC, but certainly, things like our photograph collection it is envisaged, we will be able to digitise using it. There was a discussion as to whether we should keep the automatic sheet feeder that came with it and it was decided that we should as there maybe time in the future when we would want to do volume scanning of (say) Club Magazines etc.. HB mentioned that we would need to acquire certain other accessories enabling us to scan 35mm slides etc, and he was authorised to do this. (Subsequent to the meeting, HB realised that it was not only a holder that was needed to slot the slides into, but that we would need to acquire a slide scanner attachment that replaces the lid of the scanner with a mechanism for illuminating the slides from above when being scanned. HB is researching this)
  1. Photo Collection
With the scanner now acquired, we can set to digitising our photo collection. PB (aided by DM) was asked to select 50 photos of the highest priority for publishing by the next meeting. HB will scan those. HB will work with other members of the Team to set up a ‘distributed’ group that will have access to the images to catalogue them, provide descriptions and to publish them on the Archive Web site.
  1. Archive Web update
  1. Potential for use of existing drawing images
The existing set of Engineering Drawing images were reviewed. It was decided that these could be published, after a suitable catalogue entry was created for them all. It may be necessary to re-image some of them, depending on the standard of the original scans, but any images published can be described as will be replaced with better quality images as time permits. HB will discuss this with FL as her next cataloguing task.
  1. Reordering of Index Cards
RD has provided David Howe (DH) with printed images of a sample set of cards that will allow him to physically juggle them until he has come up with the best order possible. At that point, DH will provide RD with the new order details, ask CC to create a trial page in the new order for the Team’s review and comment.
  1. Oral Histories
It was decided that the next person to interview would be Ian Dunford, who could talk about the early days of the Association (and no doubt, his extensive history in the Austin 7 world in general) It should also be noted that we have been granted permission to publish the EC Gordon England interview that has recently been tracked down. Thanks go to Coventry University ‘Curve’ Project, who hold the original and the perseverance of Austin 7 owners Marcus Ling, Ian Williams and  Bryan Norfolk who all played a part in tracking down the interview and transcript. There was also a suggestion that we contact Tom Newsome, who drove an Austin 7 from Melbourne in Cambridgeshire to Melbourne in Australia if he might do something. CG will follow up.
  1. Budget
As reported in previous meetings, our un-committed funds are in the region of £3500. We still await the bill for the latest HCC digitisation of the Show Brochures. Expenditure at Leicestershire County Council recently invoiced is to be asplit between restoration of existing artefacts (not to come from Digitisation Project Funds) and scanning of drawings requested by PB.. No other expenditure has been made by the Project since the last meeting.
  1. Publicity
  1. Open Day
Now confirmed as Sunday April 2nd. There was a discussion regarding the details of the display. It was agreed that we would not replicate the last display but create a different layout with other artefacts on display. PB was asked to come up with a plan, as last time, to show how things would be laid out. IT was also suggested that we play some films. After a discussion about the possibility of the Assn. acquiring a digital Projector, PB said he had been given one the Archive could use. CG will retrieve the Trophies from secure storage. There was also a comment about the Bert Hadley Trophies currently on loan to Donnington at some point being returned to the Archive. PB will follow up with Geoff Roe to confirm details.
  1. Newsletter
RD was thanked for editing the most recent Project newsletter, recently distributed. RD thanked all those who had made a contribution to the newsletter that had made its creation a straightforward task. RD asked that HB contact all Clubs and Registers asking them to forward the Newsletter on to their membership to extend coverage. This should be a specific request in all future newsletters.
  1. NECClassic Car show Awards
HB reported that he had been alerted to these awards by CC (Webmaster) and that he had submitted a nomination on the Project’s behalf in the category ‘Web Site of the Year’ We will hear after February 6th if we have been shortlisted. Even if we get that far, then the publicity will be helpful.
  1. AOB
  1. Russell Curtis collection
RD raised the topic of Russel Curtis, an A7 owner in Australia has a remarkable collection of A7 materials that he has built up over the years and is prepared to share with the Archive. His daughter has the ability to create high quality scans at her place of work or, Russell will be visiting the UK this summer and may be able to bring some of his collection with him. PB was asked to go through the list of the Collection and pick out any items of particular interest we currently do not hold.
  1. Recording of Collection
HB made the point that recording anything in a Word document was limiting and did not provide for any form of manipulation or ease of transfer into the main catalogue. He stressed the point that *any* recording of details should be done using an Excel Spreadsheet
  1. Brochure retrieval from HCC
It was mentioned that the Show Brochure collection was still at HCC and need retrieving. CG said he would try and arrange to do that when he next travelled in that direction.
  1. Gladys de Havilland photo album
The existing images of the GDH photo album were reviewed and deemed perfectly satisfactory for speedy publication. The collection has also been added to in recent years with a comprehensive collection of contemporary news cuttings. CG agreed to take on the task of reviewing the images and cuttings and coming up with a suitable ‘framework’ in which to publish them.
  1. Austin ‘Charges’ books
NB asked whether the archive held a collection of ‘Charges for Repair’ books. PB replied that we did, but that they were not considered a priority for collecting or digitising at this time.
  1. Thanks for donation
A discussion took place on the formal thanks to be given to people donating items to the collection. AL stated he had written to Mike Stewart who had recently donated his complete collection. This lead on to a discussion about what we should be able to do with duplicates of existing items within the Collection. It was agreed that our approach would be to have the authority to dispose of duplicates either by swap or by sale and that any funds so raised would be ring fenced to the Archive for acquisition of further materials. It was agreed that we should produce a policy document defining the approach and that it should be published in the next Grey Mag. A suitable precis of this should also be included in any communication with potential donors so it is always made completely clear as to our approach.
  1. Stanley Edge TV film
CG reported that he is still on the track of the Stanley Edge TV film for publication on the Archive site but that tracking down and speaking to the right person is proving elusive. He has resorted to writing a letter to the contact he has been given..
  1. Date of next meeting
Friday, March 3rd. Lubenham, 10:30 am. Note change of usual day of the week. Task list for next Meeting.
  1. PB and CG *must* have visited the holders of personal Archive Collections
  2. HB to speak to NT about possibility of further photography of paint cards
  3. PB to talk to Barney Sharatt to explore Oral History possibility
  4. HB Scanner ‘understanding’
  5. PB, DM to identify and extract 50 top priority photos for scanning
  6. HB et Al to define ‘distributed’ cataloguing process for photos
  7. CC to have built prototype Archive pages for photo display
  8. HB to talk with FL regarding Engineering Drawing catalogue
  9. HB to discuss prototype Archive pages for drawing display
  10. CG to talk with Tom Newsome re Oral History possibility
  11. PB to design layout for Open Day to include new displays
  12. PB to test out digital projector for the running of films on the day
  13. PB to check with Geoff Roe on return arrangements for Trophies held at Donnington
  14. HB to request all Clubs to distribute the Archive Newsletter to their Members
  15. PB to review Russell Curtis collection and (through RD) request items to be brought over (if possible) or items to be scanned locally and provided electronically *As Soon as Possible please*
  16. HB to work with FL and CC to determine Excel pro-forms for record keeping
  17. CG to collect Brochures from HCC
  18. CG to design a way of displaying the GDH collection on dedicated Archive web pages
  19. Donation and duplicate Policy Document and statement for Grey Mag. NB – although this was discussed in some detail, no-one was charged with producing this. HB to discuss with AL

Association Vacancies

At the Association AGM to be held on Sunday April 9th 2017, 2, if not 3, Officer positions will fall vacant. Those positions are Chairman and Advertising Manager. The current Vice-chair, Chris Garner, has already indicated his willingness to stand for the position of Chairman, so it is also possible that the position of Vice-chair will need filling. Candidates for these posts are invited to apply (there is no requirement for a formal nomination process) Indications of interest should be accompanied by a note confirming which post you are interested in and a short (say side of A4) outline of your background and experience qualifying you for the role. Could I ask Clubs etc to ensure their membership are made aware of these vacancies and encourage applications from those people who you think might be particularly suitable. Interested parties are encouraged to get in touch to discuss any aspect of these positions. I have attached the Job descriptions of each of the three posts which shows the roles and responsibilities. Closing date for applications is the Monday 20th February giving time for applications to be circulated for consideration by Clubs etc before voting at the AGM in April. Hugh Barnes A7CA Secretary
  JOB DESCRIPTION - ADVERTISING MANAGER The Advertising Manager’s job is a voluntary position responsible to the A7CA for promoting and acting as representative for the Austin Seven and the Historic Car Movement:-  Acting as a ‘Focal Point’ for the A7CA Magazine in respect of offering advertising services to the Association in respect to its Member Clubs and Registers of the Association/Individuals, and Overseas Associate Member Clubs/and any Press/Publication Media Groups/Trade or Services connected with the Austin Seven Movement.  Promoting advertising services available for placement in the Austin Seven Clubs’ Association quarterly magazine which is issued January, April, July, October per year.  Pricing advertising rates:- Display Pages (Black/White/Colour) ie:- 1 Page, ½ Page, ¼ Page. Classified Ads, Trade and Services. (See Attachment).  Advertising Rates/fees/non fees for Club advertising ie:- Events/Promotions/Services.  Communication with Advertisers/Clubs per email/post/telephone.  Compiling/agreement of adverts and liaising with A7CA Editor in respect of compilation and approval of advertising to be placed in A7CA magazines.  Invoicing/Collecting monies for Advertising and organising A/c Listing and payments to be paid into A7CA Direct Account/or payable per cheque.  Sending out A7CA magazines to paying Advertisers on a quarterly basis.  Sending out Reminders with “Letter of Thanks for Advertising” to regular advertisers in October with Pro-forma Invoices for booking space in “Next Year A7CA Magazine” JOB DESCRIPTION - CHAIRMAN The Chairman of the Austin 7 Clubs' Association (A7CA) is a voluntary position, voted for by the member clubs of the Association; the incumbent of which is responsible to The Association for: • Acting as focal point for members of the Association, other national historic car movements, the media and the general public • Chairing the four meetings of the Association • Promoting the Austin 7 movement to the general public, the media and the member clubs of the Association • With the secretary, drawing up the agenda for the meetings • Assisting all parties to have discussions in all matters relating to Austin 7’s • To guide discussions where necessary • To sum up discussions and propose votes amongst the member clubs. • To promote co-operation between clubs and groups having an interest in the Austin7 • To have the casting vote where the opinion is equally divided in a general vote JOB DESCRIPTION - VICE-CHAIR Job Description: A voluntary position responsible for: Primarily to support the Chairman where necessary and when requested. Fill in for the Chairman when absent. Can prepare meetings or Committee items and suggestions. Problem solve with Committee members and report back to the Chairman. Understand the strengths and weaknesses of the Committee and convey & discuss with the Chairman

Archive Project Meeting – 8th December 2016

Austin 7 Clubs Association Archive project, Meeting No.10 Thursday, December 8th 2016 10:30am Triumph Sports 6 Club, 36 Main St, Lubenham, Market Harborough LE16 9TF

  1. Those present:
Chris Garner – Association Vice-chair and PWA7C Phil Baildon – Association Archivist Ruairidh Dunford – Scottish Austin 7 Club Hugh Barnes – Cambridge Austin 7 Club
  1. Apologies for absence
Dave Martin – Assistant Archivist & PWA7C Nick Turley – PWA7C Nick Beck – Scottish and Bristol A7 Clubs Andy Lowe – Association Chairman Chris Charles – Association WebMaster Fenella Leigh – Cambridge Austin 7 Club
  1. Minutes of meeting 9
Were deemed correct
  1. Progress since last meeting
  1. PB,CG to have arranged to meet (or preferably have met) with owners of collection of archive materials
Arrangements in place for CG and PB each to visit the collections in January
  1. HB to follow up on someone to maintain the Excel Catalogue file
Done. Fenella Leigh has been welcomed to the team and has started work on Paint Card and Brochure catalogue entries
  1. PB to get copying costs from Wigston
Still not known. PB to chase
  1. PB et al to have started using NB’s accessions procedures. PB to give examples
Not yet commenced HB to ask FL to set up a ‘pro-forma’ for PB to use.
  1. Next Open Day. Decision early April 2017. PB to check date with Triumph Club
PB to confirm with TSSC that 2nd April 2017 is available
  1. HB Paint project ongoing work
HB has provided A10DC with details of the paint cards we have access to for them to add to the details they already have. HB working with Craftmaster Paints with the hope that we can help in the creation of a range of accurate colours.
  1. RD, DM, CC ongoing Index card re-ordering
RD has been working with a willing volunteer who has found the task daunting. RD is to provide print outs of all the card images from one section for that person to work with. RD to talk with CC regarding image numbering to be available on screen
  1. CG (all) Flyer for 2017a to be complete by 1st December and submitted to Editor
Done
  1. PB to follow up with contact for Stanley Edge Military material
PB needs to follow up.
  1. CG – Clayton DeWandre materials long term home
CG has contacted Lincoln archives who are prepared to offer them a home
  1. NT, CC - edit and publish Bob Wyatt interview.
Interview produced and edited. Now with CC to publish in December.
  1. NT further interview candidates identified (CG to follow up with Austin Apprentices, AL to follow up with Austin Village)
Next candidate identified. HB to write requesting the interview. CG still in contact with Austin Apprentices but nothing yet. Suggestion we put something in the Longbridge local paper, Other suggestions noted for future potential interviews
  1. HB to create photo catalogue spreadsheet ‘pro-forma’ for trial
  2. HB to organise a ‘how to’ document for cataloguing photos
See later discussion re scanner
  1. HB to discuss trial photo publication with CC
See later discussion re scanner
  1. HB to undertake scanner research
Independently, HCC and Faye McLoed suggested an Epson Expression 10000XL
  1. DM to recommend how to ‘merge’ duplicated Index card headings
Done
  1. Photo Collection
The collection was discussed and it was decided that it needs to be gone through and prioritised. There will be many photos that may not ever need to be digitised or certainly not in the first pass. At this point, item 7.2, Scanner acquisition was brought forward for discussion. After a brief discussion, it was agreed that we should look to buy one. Long term, this will be a cheaper option than getting images copied professionally and that at the end of its use, it would still have a resale value. HB to follow up on the purchase. If we can’t find one with any form of guarantee, then at least having it demonstrated as being fully operational before purchase is a must. Methods of use were also discussed. The concept of a ‘distributed’ approach will be trialled in the first instance. The scanner will be housed with one person (possibly/probably HB) who will scan photos and create a single simple line entry on a dedicated catalogue. FL will also be able to access this and will fill out further information. Finally, others can contribute with the addition of description and any other further details. By approaching it this way, the workload is shared. Sorting through the photo collection and prioritising a first ‘set’ will now be a task for the Thursday group.
  1. Archive Web update
Paint card images are now complete and with CC. Brochure images have been completed and sent by HCC to CC. CC also has to hand the audio files of the Bob Wyatt interview. FL is well on with the cataloguing of the paint cards and brochures that CC will need in readiness to upload to the Archive Web site. Introductions are required for each ‘set’ HB will do Paint Cards and Interviews. PB to provide suitable wording for Brochures. Publication date for new materials is set for December 15th, so these need to be provided immediately.
  1. Potential for use of existing drawing images
  HB referred the group to many images of engineering drawing that were already published on the Association web site and that these should be catalogued and brought into the new Archive area. Although they may not be of the quality we strive for now, they should be considered a simple source of images to add more resources to the Archive. Quality can be reviewed after their publication and decisions made as to whether they need replacement with better quality images Similarly, RD has a series of images of a Stanley Edge notebook which he can provide for use. Another Stanley Edge notebook also exists. RD will liaise with CC to create a new section of the archive dedicated to Stan.
  1. Budget
As reported in previous meetings, our un-committed funds are in the region of £3500. Outstanding amounts include the Brochures digitised by HCC, initially quoted at £1625. However, some 14 of the 76 items sent were photocopies and not copied given our decision to only copy original materials. This should reduce that cost, somewhat.
  1. Digitisation
    1. Contractor for future work
The decision has clearly been made that we will use HCC for all digitisation work in the future. We have had excellent service from them, their work is of the highest quality and our relationship with them underpinned by them knowing exactly what we are trying to do and guiding/advising us accordingly.
  1. Possible Scanner acquisition
As stated in item 5, the decision was taken to purchase an appropriate quality scanner. HB will follow up on this
  1. Publicity
Even though we have had articles in the Grey Mag, posted updates on A7Friends forum and alerted the wider A7 community to minutes etc posted on the Assn. we site, there are still people who say they haven’t heard of the Archive Project and don’t know of the web site. RD referred to the Dorset Club having re-printed the last Project newsletter in its entirety in their Club Magazine. RD will take on the production of the next Newsletter making reference to Paint Cards, Brochures and interviews that are next to be published. HB will write a short paragraph on the Paint Cards. NT will be asked to write a paragraph on the Bob Wyatt interview, PB will write a paragraph on the Brochure collection. HB will pass the newsletter in electronic form to all Clubs, Registers etc, asking them to include it in their next publication. The newsletter to be ready for release, mid-January. HB suggested that we undertake a specific ‘outreach’ program with Project Team members offering themselves to Clubs local to them to provide a talk to their Members. HB will draft a Powerpoint for Team review that can be used by anyone undertaking such a talk. By the Spring, there will be sufficient material posted on the web site to warrant encouraging an article in national Magazine such as the Automobile etc for further publicity.
  1. AOB
A steady stream of contributions to the Archive seems to have started. A recent collection kindly donated by a 7 owner is on its way. An 11kg parcel of Austin publications and other materials is already in the post. This will be followed by slides and photographs taken between the 1950s and the 1970s. Similarly, PB showed the group a detailed drawing of the Cambridge Engineering body that had just been donated. It was agreed by all, that donated material should be dealt with speedily - catalogued, digitised and published at the earliest opportunity. Should the donations contain duplicates of material already in the collection, then the best copy should be kept and the duplicates used to furnish other items for the collection –either by offering them as swaps or sale to raise funds. Those people donating such items should be made aware of this approach. The ‘Stanley Edge’ collection, already referred to should also contain a video of a Central TV program about him made in 1984 by Central TV. CG will follow up with a contact he has that used to work for Central TV to attempt to gain permission to publish it (dealing with copyright issues)
  1. Date of next meeting
26th January 2017. Lubenham 10:30 am

Archive Project Meeting – 9th October 2016

Austin 7 Clubs Association Archive project, Meeting No.9 Sunday October 9th 2016 The Dun Cow, The Green, Dunchurch, Rugby CV22 6NJ

Full download is available here.
  1. Those present:
Andy Lowe – Association Chairman and Midlands A7 Phil Baildon – Association Archivist Hugh Barnes – Cambridge Austin 7 and Vintage Car Club Chris Garner – Association Vice-chair and PWA7C Dave Martin – Asst Archivist and PWA7C Ruairidh Dunford – Scottish A7 Club
  1. Apologies for absence
Nick Turley – PWA7C Nick Beck – Scottish and Bristol A7Cs Chris Charles – Association Web Master
  1. Minutes of meeting 8
Were deemed correct
  1. Progress since last meeting
    1. PB and CG to arrange to meet with owners of collection of archive materials
Arrangements are in hand to visit one soon. Both visits should be arranged (at least, if not completed) by the next meeting.
  1. HB to advertise for someone to maintain the Excel Catalogue file
HB has had a tentative approach from a possible candidate which is being followed up
  1. PB to follow up with A10 Drivers Club re paint sample project
Ongoing – both with A10DC and Craftmaster Paints
  1. PB to deliver show brochures to HCC and collect the 2 sample engineering drawings
Done
  1. PB to deliver the 2 engineering drawings for quotation. Quotation to be available for next meeting
In the end, Wigston were asked to copy the drawings and have done so. No quote was provided and the cost is as yet not known. HCC have supplied a comprehensive quote, with options. A comparison will be made when Wigston costs are known.
  1. NB to draft Accessions/Catalogue process document
Done. Subject to any further discussion, there seems no reason not to adopt these.
  1. HB to advertise Archive Mailing Lis
Done
  1. NB to maintain contact with local garage (particularly re upholstery samples)
Nick to report progress as and when
  1. PB to consider date of next Open Day
Decision on early April. PB to check with Triumph Club to firm up date. Should be known by next meeting
  1. CC to provide photos of Open Day
Done
  1. HB to write Open Day article for Grey Mag
Done
  1. PB/DM to write introductory pieces for each style of digitised material
Done
  1. CC to implement ‘place holder’ image for show brochures
Done
  1. CC to remove references to copyright from web site
Done
  1. HB to discuss with Assn. Treasurer Web Master’s honorarium.
Done (and paid)
  1. RD to undertake pilot project in re-ordering index card pdfs
In progress. See later report
  1. CC to provide RD with appropriate software for his task
Done (in essence – a manual process has been identified)
  1. HB to remind HCC of our delivery/collection of materials
Done
  1. CG to draft ‘flyer’ for 2017A Grey Mag
Done. CG will circulate for discussion.
  1. HB to discuss flyer with Treasurer and Editor
Even though it was not seen as a good idea by the Editor, the Team have decided to go ahead. There are still people who are not aware of the published materials
  1. CC to instigate go live of archive web site Sunday 28th August
Done (hurrah! Well done all!)
  1. HB to do appropriate announcements on A7Friends, CC to deal with Facebook and Twitter
Done
  1. CG to draft Press release for early 2017
In progress
  1. PB to follow up with contact for Stanley Edge Military material
David Fletcher, recently retired from the Bovington Tank Museum will come to Lubenham to examine the collection. PB to arrange
  1. CG to follow up with Lincoln Museums re Clayton Dewandre materials
Despite a number of attempts to contact, no response was received. We need to continue with this
  1. NT to undertake oral history recording with Bob Wyatt
Done. Nick Turley in the throes of editing the recording
  1. HB to discuss with NT opportunities for further interviews
Done. NT happy to undertake 4 or 5 more over the coming year.
  1. CG to consider appeal to Austin Apprentices for any archive materials they could loan or donate
After contact, the Austin Apprentices Assocation are interested in forging links. They may also provide likely interview candidates. It was suggested that the Austin Village group may also be an interesting interview prospect. Al to follow up
  1. Photo Collection sorting
RD had been investigating possible approaches and had sought guidance from both Faye McLeod and Heather Needham. Please take time to read the full report found in Appendix A but salient points and recommendations are as follows: Comments from Heather We should explore the On line help at http://www3.hants.gov.uk/archives/community-archives/how-to.htm .Essentially a summarised version of what was covered in the sessions on the Archives Ambassador workshop. Look at two possible approaches to cataloguing photographs: 1A11 (http://calm.hants.gov.uk/Overview.aspx?s=1A11 ) shows a collection catalogued by format. (http://calm.hants.gov.uk/TreeBrowse.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&field=RefNo&key=76001%2f11 ) shows an example of cataloguing according to provenance, ie the photo is in the part of the collection it came from. Usual preference is cataloguing according to provenance, not always possible if you have a large tote of photos. (RD - I suspect that we come largely under this banner with perhaps the exception of D-H albums etc). We need to establish whether to go down the scanning or photographing route, guided by the material we have– (RD -I suspect that scanning will suffice – do we have any photos over A3, slides, transparencies or negatives, We will need to consider  file types, resolution, etc. All need to be factored into the scanner capabilities spec.) Comments from Faye Advice on the headings that we should record under: Suggestions are -  Model/Model derivative (you need to agree a pre-determined list of terms in order to ensure consistency), Setting/Event, People featured, Date We need to take into account any copyright information - for example, is there a photographer's mark on the back of the print. Is that photographer still in business? Can you find the relevant copyright holder? Reproduction rights - is this an orphan image, or has the copyright holder given you permission? Careful thought needs to be given to catalogue IDs. See full report for examples Digitisation: Faye suggests that a large collection would be expensive to outsource and that scanning by hand is entirely achievable with a suitable scanner/s. Practical advice was given on types of image taken and archive storage standards to follow. See the full report for details Recommendations:
  • Write an A7CA “how to” document for cataloguing photos.
  • Create blank spread sheet with additional headings, if necessary, and begin the process of cataloguing what we have, storing in pockets and marking the outside with our decided coding
  • Website - Chris Charles to be commissioned to construct a trial photo archive template with moderated comments section and search facility for review and comment.
  • Undertake a pilot project with (say) 20 photos, taken at random from the collection, to give a cross section of materials we will deal with
  • Research and purchase scanner/s
 
  1. Archive Web Site review
RD had been working with a couple of well-respected Austin 7 owners with good historical knowledge and had asked them to review the Index cards on line and provide feedback. Please take time to read the full report found in Appendix B but the salient points and recommendations are as follows: Feedback from A A need for chronological order (earliest to latest). Need for clarity between the two columns, for example there is no explanatory link between BA and Crankcase etc. A need to explore and cross reference the cards with the drawings referenced in the handbooks, ideally a pop up picture when hovering over the part number in the cards and a list of chassis numbers that used a part illustrated in the handbooks. Feedback from B Check that the write up at the start should is correct e.g. BA refers to the 'Crankshaft' when it should be the 'Crankcase' Looking at 'Shock Absorber', I clicked on the word and no data was there. Only when I clicked on the 'BU' did I get the cards I was looking for. I agree the cards are in the order they are in the Longbridge drawer, that is only logical as last entry would always come first but for best use first card ie earliest must come first for logical use. Then there must be a cross reference on the page that you can click onto to get up the relevant Spare Parts List, not everyone would have a hard copy to hand. Reference to the Part No.s and either description or image is essential to understanding the cards. Over time, it may be that a ‘commentary’ could be added to the cards adding extra information (such as dimensions etc) See the full report for an explanation of this point. But all in all having the cards available is a great leap forward in the understanding of the evolving design of the Austin Seven and A7CA are to be congratulated. Recommendations
  • Small trial section developed to see if pop ups and commentary can be added to the PDFs – is DM prepared to share his text to assist with this task please?*
  • Rearrange PDFs to show earliest first.
  • Come up with new headings or explanation for the BA (etc.) labelling.
  • DM offered to review the ‘doubling up’ of some sets of cards (eg BA and crankcase) with a view to rationalising them and adding clarity
  *DM is still not willing to share any of the text details from the List of Production changes booklet until all copies are sold, so other ways of linking Index card details to spare part images will have to be found.  
  1. Budget Position
As per last meeting, the Project still has some £3500 uncommitted. With an eye to the future, the purchase of a scanner may well be in the region of £1000 for one of appropriate quality and capabilities (and that may be second hand – new would be twice that price possibly) Epson Expression 10000 would be the sort of standard to be aiming at.  
  1. Digitisation
Show Brochures with HCC are yet to be started as their photographer is finishing  his previous commission. They are next in the queue. HB has arranged to borrow 5 different brochures, some of which are already in the Archive, some of which are not. But all are in better condition that we have at the moment. Thanks to Adam at Craftmaster Paints. We will include them in a future tranche of digitisation sent to HCC   Wigston have provided a copy of the Coupe drawing. HCC have done so also and the 2 can be compared and discussed at the next meeting, as can the other two drawings that have been dealt with.  
  1. Publicity
CG showed the group his first attempt at a Flyer for inclusion with 2017a Grey Mag. The group will continue to discuss and refine this over email in the coming days. Press date for 2017a is 1st December 2016. RD reported that there are still people, well versed in the world of Austin 7 that still are unaware of the Archive web pages. The flyer (and other approaches) are still needed. It was suggested that something published in the Automobile magazine would be worthwhile. CG has a contact on the Editorial team and will follow this up.
  1. AOB
  1. Date and time of next meeting
  Thursday December 8th, 10:30 at Lubenham   Task List for next meeting:
  1. PB and CG to have arranged to meet (or preferably, have met) with owners of collection of archive materials
  2. HB to follow up on someone to maintain the Excel Catalogue file
  3. PB to get copying costs from Wigston
  4. PB et al to have started using NB’s accessions procedures. PB to give examples
  5. Next Open Day. Decision on early April 2017. PB to check with Triumph Club to firm up date.
  6. Paint project ongoing work HB
  7. RD, DM, CC ongoing Index card re-ordering
  8. CG (all) Flyer for 2017a inclusion to be complete by 1st December and submitted to Editor
  9. PB to follow up with contact for Stanley Edge Military material
  10. CG – Clayton DeWandre materials long term home
  11. NT, CC - edit and publish of Bob Wyatt interview.
  12. NT further interview candidates identified (CG to follow up with Austin Apprentices, AL to follow up with Austin Village)
  13. HB to create photo catalogue spreadsheet ‘pro-forma’ for trial
  14. HB to organise a ‘how to’ document for cataloguing photos
  15. HB to discuss trial photo publication with CC
  16. HB to undertake scanner research
  17. DM to provide recommendations as how to ‘merge’ duplicated Index card headings