Archives

Association Vacancies

At the Association AGM to be held on Sunday April 9th 2017, 2, if not 3, Officer positions will fall vacant. Those positions are Chairman and Advertising Manager. The current Vice-chair, Chris Garner, has already indicated his willingness to stand for the position of Chairman, so it is also possible that the position of Vice-chair will need filling.

Candidates for these posts are invited to apply (there is no requirement for a formal nomination process) Indications of interest should be accompanied by a note confirming which post you are interested in and a short (say side of A4) outline of your background and experience qualifying you for the role.

Could I ask Clubs etc to ensure their membership are made aware of these vacancies and encourage applications from those people who you think might be particularly suitable. Interested parties are encouraged to get in touch to discuss any aspect of these positions.

I have attached the Job descriptions of each of the three posts which shows the roles and responsibilities.

Closing date for applications is the Monday 20th February giving time for applications to be circulated for consideration by Clubs etc before voting at the AGM in April.

Hugh Barnes
A7CA Secretary


 

JOB DESCRIPTION – ADVERTISING MANAGER

The Advertising Manager’s job is a voluntary position responsible to the A7CA for promoting and acting as representative for the Austin Seven and the Historic Car Movement:-

 Acting as a ‘Focal Point’ for the A7CA Magazine in respect of offering advertising services to the Association in respect to its Member Clubs and Registers of the Association/Individuals, and Overseas Associate Member Clubs/and any Press/Publication Media Groups/Trade or Services connected with the Austin Seven Movement.

 Promoting advertising services available for placement in the Austin Seven Clubs’ Association quarterly magazine which is issued January, April, July, October per year.

 Pricing advertising rates:- Display Pages (Black/White/Colour) ie:-
1 Page, ½ Page, ¼ Page. Classified Ads, Trade and Services. (See
Attachment).

 Advertising Rates/fees/non fees for Club advertising ie:- Events/Promotions/Services.

 Communication with Advertisers/Clubs per email/post/telephone.

 Compiling/agreement of adverts and liaising with A7CA Editor in respect of compilation and approval of advertising to be placed in A7CA magazines.

 Invoicing/Collecting monies for Advertising and organising A/c Listing and payments to be paid into A7CA Direct Account/or payable per cheque.

 Sending out A7CA magazines to paying Advertisers on a quarterly basis.

 Sending out Reminders with “Letter of Thanks for Advertising” to regular advertisers in October with Pro-forma Invoices for booking space in “Next Year A7CA Magazine”

JOB DESCRIPTION – CHAIRMAN

The Chairman of the Austin 7 Clubs’ Association (A7CA) is a voluntary position, voted for by the member clubs of the Association; the incumbent of which is responsible to The Association for:

• Acting as focal point for members of the Association, other national historic car movements, the media and the general public
• Chairing the four meetings of the Association
• Promoting the Austin 7 movement to the general public, the media and the member clubs of the Association
• With the secretary, drawing up the agenda for the meetings
• Assisting all parties to have discussions in all matters relating to Austin 7’s
• To guide discussions where necessary
• To sum up discussions and propose votes amongst the member clubs.
• To promote co-operation between clubs and groups having an interest in the Austin7
• To have the casting vote where the opinion is equally divided in a general vote

JOB DESCRIPTION – VICE-CHAIR

Job Description:

A voluntary position responsible for:

Primarily to support the Chairman where necessary and when requested.
Fill in for the Chairman when absent.
Can prepare meetings or Committee items and suggestions.
Problem solve with Committee members and report back to the Chairman.
Understand the strengths and weaknesses of the Committee and convey & discuss with the Chairman

Archive Project Meeting – 8th December 2016

Austin 7 Clubs Association Archive project, Meeting No.10
Thursday, December 8th 2016 10:30am
Triumph Sports 6 Club,
36 Main St, Lubenham, Market Harborough LE16 9TF

  1. Those present:

Chris Garner – Association Vice-chair and PWA7C
Phil Baildon – Association Archivist
Ruairidh Dunford – Scottish Austin 7 Club
Hugh Barnes – Cambridge Austin 7 Club

  1. Apologies for absence

Dave Martin – Assistant Archivist & PWA7C
Nick Turley – PWA7C
Nick Beck – Scottish and Bristol A7 Clubs
Andy Lowe – Association Chairman
Chris Charles – Association WebMaster
Fenella Leigh – Cambridge Austin 7 Club

  1. Minutes of meeting 9

Were deemed correct

  1. Progress since last meeting
  1. PB,CG to have arranged to meet (or preferably have met) with owners of collection of archive materials

Arrangements in place for CG and PB each to visit the collections in January

  1. HB to follow up on someone to maintain the Excel Catalogue file

Done. Fenella Leigh has been welcomed to the team and has started work on Paint Card and Brochure catalogue entries

  1. PB to get copying costs from Wigston

Still not known. PB to chase

  1. PB et al to have started using NB’s accessions procedures. PB to give examples

Not yet commenced HB to ask FL to set up a ‘pro-forma’ for PB to use.

  1. Next Open Day. Decision early April 2017. PB to check date with Triumph Club

PB to confirm with TSSC that 2nd April 2017 is available

  1. HB Paint project ongoing work

HB has provided A10DC with details of the paint cards we have access to for them to add to the details they already have. HB working with Craftmaster Paints with the hope that we can help in the creation of a range of accurate colours.

  1. RD, DM, CC ongoing Index card re-ordering

RD has been working with a willing volunteer who has found the task daunting. RD is to provide print outs of all the card images from one section for that person to work with. RD to talk with CC regarding image numbering to be available on screen

  1. CG (all) Flyer for 2017a to be complete by 1st December and submitted to Editor

Done

  1. PB to follow up with contact for Stanley Edge Military material

PB needs to follow up.

  1. CG – Clayton DeWandre materials long term home

CG has contacted Lincoln archives who are prepared to offer them a home

  1. NT, CC – edit and publish Bob Wyatt interview.

Interview produced and edited. Now with CC to publish in December.

  1. NT further interview candidates identified (CG to follow up with Austin Apprentices, AL to follow up with Austin Village)

Next candidate identified. HB to write requesting the interview. CG still in contact with Austin Apprentices but nothing yet. Suggestion we put something in the Longbridge local paper, Other suggestions noted for future potential interviews

  1. HB to create photo catalogue spreadsheet ‘pro-forma’ for trial
  2. HB to organise a ‘how to’ document for cataloguing photos

See later discussion re scanner

  1. HB to discuss trial photo publication with CC

See later discussion re scanner

  1. HB to undertake scanner research

Independently, HCC and Faye McLoed suggested an Epson Expression 10000XL

  1. DM to recommend how to ‘merge’ duplicated Index card headings

Done

  1. Photo Collection

The collection was discussed and it was decided that it needs to be gone through and prioritised. There will be many photos that may not ever need to be digitised or certainly not in the first pass. At this point, item 7.2, Scanner acquisition was brought forward for discussion. After a brief discussion, it was agreed that we should look to buy one. Long term, this will be a cheaper option than getting images copied professionally and that at the end of its use, it would still have a resale value. HB to follow up on the purchase. If we can’t find one with any form of guarantee, then at least having it demonstrated as being fully operational before purchase is a must.

Methods of use were also discussed. The concept of a ‘distributed’ approach will be trialled in the first instance. The scanner will be housed with one person (possibly/probably HB) who will scan photos and create a single simple line entry on a dedicated catalogue. FL will also be able to access this and will fill out further information. Finally, others can contribute with the addition of description and any other further details. By approaching it this way, the workload is shared.

Sorting through the photo collection and prioritising a first ‘set’ will now be a task for the Thursday group.

  1. Archive Web update

Paint card images are now complete and with CC. Brochure images have been completed and sent by HCC to CC. CC also has to hand the audio files of the Bob Wyatt interview. FL is well on with the cataloguing of the paint cards and brochures that CC will need in readiness to upload to the Archive Web site.

Introductions are required for each ‘set’ HB will do Paint Cards and Interviews. PB to provide suitable wording for Brochures. Publication date for new materials is set for December 15th, so these need to be provided immediately.

  1. Potential for use of existing drawing images

 

HB referred the group to many images of engineering drawing that were already published on the Association web site and that these should be catalogued and brought into the new Archive area. Although they may not be of the quality we strive for now, they should be considered a simple source of images to add more resources to the Archive. Quality can be reviewed after their publication and decisions made as to whether they need replacement with better quality images

Similarly, RD has a series of images of a Stanley Edge notebook which he can provide for use. Another Stanley Edge notebook also exists. RD will liaise with CC to create a new section of the archive dedicated to Stan.

  1. Budget

As reported in previous meetings, our un-committed funds are in the region of £3500. Outstanding amounts include the Brochures digitised by HCC, initially quoted at £1625. However, some 14 of the 76 items sent were photocopies and not copied given our decision to only copy original materials. This should reduce that cost, somewhat.

  1. Digitisation
    1. Contractor for future work

The decision has clearly been made that we will use HCC for all digitisation work in the future. We have had excellent service from them, their work is of the highest quality and our relationship with them underpinned by them knowing exactly what we are trying to do and guiding/advising us accordingly.

  1. Possible Scanner acquisition

As stated in item 5, the decision was taken to purchase an appropriate quality scanner. HB will follow up on this

  1. Publicity

Even though we have had articles in the Grey Mag, posted updates on A7Friends forum and alerted the wider A7 community to minutes etc posted on the Assn. we site, there are still people who say they haven’t heard of the Archive Project and don’t know of the web site. RD referred to the Dorset Club having re-printed the last Project newsletter in its entirety in their Club Magazine.

RD will take on the production of the next Newsletter making reference to Paint Cards, Brochures and interviews that are next to be published. HB will write a short paragraph on the Paint Cards. NT will be asked to write a paragraph on the Bob Wyatt interview, PB will write a paragraph on the Brochure collection. HB will pass the newsletter in electronic form to all Clubs, Registers etc, asking them to include it in their next publication. The newsletter to be ready for release, mid-January.

HB suggested that we undertake a specific ‘outreach’ program with Project Team members offering themselves to Clubs local to them to provide a talk to their Members. HB will draft a Powerpoint for Team review that can be used by anyone undertaking such a talk.

By the Spring, there will be sufficient material posted on the web site to warrant encouraging an article in national Magazine such as the Automobile etc for further publicity.

  1. AOB

A steady stream of contributions to the Archive seems to have started. A recent collection kindly donated by a 7 owner is on its way. An 11kg parcel of Austin publications and other materials is already in the post. This will be followed by slides and photographs taken between the 1950s and the 1970s. Similarly,

PB showed the group a detailed drawing of the Cambridge Engineering body that had just been donated.

It was agreed by all, that donated material should be dealt with speedily – catalogued, digitised and published at the earliest opportunity. Should the donations contain duplicates of material already in the collection, then the best copy should be kept and the duplicates used to furnish other items for the collection –either by offering them as swaps or sale to raise funds. Those people donating such items should be made aware of this approach.

The ‘Stanley Edge’ collection, already referred to should also contain a video of a Central TV program about him made in 1984 by Central TV. CG will follow up with a contact he has that used to work for Central TV to attempt to gain permission to publish it (dealing with copyright issues)

  1. Date of next meeting

26th January 2017. Lubenham 10:30 am

Archive Project Meeting – 9th October 2016

Austin 7 Clubs Association Archive project, Meeting No.9
Sunday October 9th 2016
The Dun Cow,
The Green, Dunchurch, Rugby CV22 6NJ

Full download is available here.

  1. Those present:

Andy Lowe – Association Chairman and Midlands A7
Phil Baildon – Association Archivist
Hugh Barnes – Cambridge Austin 7 and Vintage Car Club
Chris Garner – Association Vice-chair and PWA7C
Dave Martin – Asst Archivist and PWA7C
Ruairidh Dunford – Scottish A7 Club

  1. Apologies for absence

Nick Turley – PWA7C
Nick Beck – Scottish and Bristol A7Cs
Chris Charles – Association Web Master

  1. Minutes of meeting 8

Were deemed correct

  1. Progress since last meeting
    1. PB and CG to arrange to meet with owners of collection of archive materials

Arrangements are in hand to visit one soon. Both visits should be arranged (at least, if not completed) by the next meeting.

  1. HB to advertise for someone to maintain the Excel Catalogue file

HB has had a tentative approach from a possible candidate which is being followed up

  1. PB to follow up with A10 Drivers Club re paint sample project

Ongoing – both with A10DC and Craftmaster Paints

  1. PB to deliver show brochures to HCC and collect the 2 sample engineering drawings

Done

  1. PB to deliver the 2 engineering drawings for quotation. Quotation to be available for next meeting

In the end, Wigston were asked to copy the drawings and have done so. No quote was provided and the cost is as yet not known. HCC have supplied a comprehensive quote, with options. A comparison will be made when Wigston costs are known.

  1. NB to draft Accessions/Catalogue process document

Done. Subject to any further discussion, there seems no reason not to adopt these.

  1. HB to advertise Archive Mailing Lis

Done

  1. NB to maintain contact with local garage (particularly re upholstery samples)

Nick to report progress as and when

  1. PB to consider date of next Open Day

Decision on early April. PB to check with Triumph Club to firm up date. Should be known by next meeting

  1. CC to provide photos of Open Day

Done

  1. HB to write Open Day article for Grey Mag

Done

  1. PB/DM to write introductory pieces for each style of digitised material

Done

  1. CC to implement ‘place holder’ image for show brochures

Done

  1. CC to remove references to copyright from web site

Done

  1. HB to discuss with Assn. Treasurer Web Master’s honorarium.

Done (and paid)

  1. RD to undertake pilot project in re-ordering index card pdfs

In progress. See later report

  1. CC to provide RD with appropriate software for his task

Done (in essence – a manual process has been identified)

  1. HB to remind HCC of our delivery/collection of materials

Done

  1. CG to draft ‘flyer’ for 2017A Grey Mag

Done. CG will circulate for discussion.

  1. HB to discuss flyer with Treasurer and Editor

Even though it was not seen as a good idea by the Editor, the Team have decided to go ahead. There are still people who are not aware of the published materials

  1. CC to instigate go live of archive web site Sunday 28th August

Done (hurrah! Well done all!)

  1. HB to do appropriate announcements on A7Friends, CC to deal with Facebook and Twitter

Done

  1. CG to draft Press release for early 2017

In progress

  1. PB to follow up with contact for Stanley Edge Military material

David Fletcher, recently retired from the Bovington Tank Museum will come to Lubenham to examine the collection. PB to arrange

  1. CG to follow up with Lincoln Museums re Clayton Dewandre materials

Despite a number of attempts to contact, no response was received. We need to continue with this

  1. NT to undertake oral history recording with Bob Wyatt

Done. Nick Turley in the throes of editing the recording

  1. HB to discuss with NT opportunities for further interviews

Done. NT happy to undertake 4 or 5 more over the coming year.

  1. CG to consider appeal to Austin Apprentices for any archive materials they could loan or donate

After contact, the Austin Apprentices Assocation are interested in forging links. They may also provide likely interview candidates. It was suggested that the Austin Village group may also be an interesting interview prospect. Al to follow up

  1. Photo Collection sorting

RD had been investigating possible approaches and had sought guidance from both Faye McLeod and Heather Needham. Please take time to read the full report found in Appendix A but salient points and recommendations are as follows:

Comments from Heather

We should explore the On line help at http://www3.hants.gov.uk/archives/community-archives/how-to.htm .Essentially a summarised version of what was covered in the sessions on the Archives Ambassador workshop.

Look at two possible approaches to cataloguing photographs:

1A11 (http://calm.hants.gov.uk/Overview.aspx?s=1A11 ) shows a collection catalogued by format.

(http://calm.hants.gov.uk/TreeBrowse.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&field=RefNo&key=76001%2f11 ) shows an example of cataloguing according to provenance, ie the photo is in the part of the collection it came from.

Usual preference is cataloguing according to provenance, not always possible if you have a large tote of photos. (RD – I suspect that we come largely under this banner with perhaps the exception of D-H albums etc).

We need to establish whether to go down the scanning or photographing route, guided by the material we have– (RD -I suspect that scanning will suffice – do we have any photos over A3, slides, transparencies or negatives, We will need to consider  file types, resolution, etc. All need to be factored into the scanner capabilities spec.)

Comments from Faye

Advice on the headings that we should record under:

Suggestions are –  Model/Model derivative (you need to agree a pre-determined list of terms in order to ensure consistency), Setting/Event, People featured, Date

We need to take into account any copyright information – for example, is there a photographer’s mark on the back of the print. Is that photographer still in business? Can you find the relevant copyright holder? Reproduction rights – is this an orphan image, or has the copyright holder given you permission?

Careful thought needs to be given to catalogue IDs. See full report for examples

Digitisation:

Faye suggests that a large collection would be expensive to outsource and that scanning by hand is entirely achievable with a suitable scanner/s.

Practical advice was given on types of image taken and archive storage standards to follow. See the full report for details

Recommendations:

  • Write an A7CA “how to” document for cataloguing photos.
  • Create blank spread sheet with additional headings, if necessary, and begin the process of cataloguing what we have, storing in pockets and marking the outside with our decided coding
  • Website – Chris Charles to be commissioned to construct a trial photo archive template with moderated comments section and search facility for review and comment.
  • Undertake a pilot project with (say) 20 photos, taken at random from the collection, to give a cross section of materials we will deal with
  • Research and purchase scanner/s

 

  1. Archive Web Site review

RD had been working with a couple of well-respected Austin 7 owners with good historical knowledge and had asked them to review the Index cards on line and provide feedback. Please take time to read the full report found in Appendix B but the salient points and recommendations are as follows:

Feedback from A

A need for chronological order (earliest to latest).

Need for clarity between the two columns, for example there is no explanatory link between BA and Crankcase etc.

A need to explore and cross reference the cards with the drawings referenced in the handbooks, ideally a pop up picture when hovering over the part number in the cards and a list of chassis numbers that used a part illustrated in the handbooks.

Feedback from B

Check that the write up at the start should is correct e.g. BA refers to the ‘Crankshaft’ when it should be the ‘Crankcase’

Looking at ‘Shock Absorber’, I clicked on the word and no data was there. Only when I clicked on the ‘BU’ did I get the cards I was looking for.

I agree the cards are in the order they are in the Longbridge drawer, that is only logical as last entry would always come first but for best use first card ie earliest must come first for logical use.

Then there must be a cross reference on the page that you can click onto to get up the relevant Spare Parts List, not everyone would have a hard copy to hand. Reference to the Part No.s and either description or image is essential to understanding the cards.

Over time, it may be that a ‘commentary’ could be added to the cards adding extra information (such as dimensions etc) See the full report for an explanation of this point.

But all in all having the cards available is a great leap forward in the understanding of the evolving design of the Austin Seven and A7CA are to be congratulated.

Recommendations

  • Small trial section developed to see if pop ups and commentary can be added to the PDFs – is DM prepared to share his text to assist with this task please?*
  • Rearrange PDFs to show earliest first.
  • Come up with new headings or explanation for the BA (etc.) labelling.
  • DM offered to review the ‘doubling up’ of some sets of cards (eg BA and crankcase) with a view to rationalising them and adding clarity

 

*DM is still not willing to share any of the text details from the List of Production changes booklet until all copies are sold, so other ways of linking Index card details to spare part images will have to be found.

 

  1. Budget Position

As per last meeting, the Project still has some £3500 uncommitted. With an eye to the future, the purchase of a scanner may well be in the region of £1000 for one of appropriate quality and capabilities (and that may be second hand – new would be twice that price possibly) Epson Expression 10000 would be the sort of standard to be aiming at.

 

  1. Digitisation

Show Brochures with HCC are yet to be started as their photographer is finishing  his previous commission. They are next in the queue. HB has arranged to borrow 5 different brochures, some of which are already in the Archive, some of which are not. But all are in better condition that we have at the moment. Thanks to Adam at Craftmaster Paints. We will include them in a future tranche of digitisation sent to HCC

 

Wigston have provided a copy of the Coupe drawing. HCC have done so also and the 2 can be compared and discussed at the next meeting, as can the other two drawings that have been dealt with.

 

  1. Publicity

CG showed the group his first attempt at a Flyer for inclusion with 2017a Grey Mag. The group will continue to discuss and refine this over email in the coming days. Press date for 2017a is 1st December 2016.

RD reported that there are still people, well versed in the world of Austin 7 that still are unaware of the Archive web pages. The flyer (and other approaches) are still needed.

It was suggested that something published in the Automobile magazine would be worthwhile. CG has a contact on the Editorial team and will follow this up.

  1. AOB
  1. Date and time of next meeting

 

Thursday December 8th, 10:30 at Lubenham

 

Task List for next meeting:

  1. PB and CG to have arranged to meet (or preferably, have met) with owners of collection of archive materials
  2. HB to follow up on someone to maintain the Excel Catalogue file
  3. PB to get copying costs from Wigston
  4. PB et al to have started using NB’s accessions procedures. PB to give examples
  5. Next Open Day. Decision on early April 2017. PB to check with Triumph Club to firm up date.
  6. Paint project ongoing work HB
  7. RD, DM, CC ongoing Index card re-ordering
  8. CG (all) Flyer for 2017a inclusion to be complete by 1st December and submitted to Editor
  9. PB to follow up with contact for Stanley Edge Military material
  10. CG – Clayton DeWandre materials long term home
  11. NT, CC – edit and publish of Bob Wyatt interview.
  12. NT further interview candidates identified (CG to follow up with Austin Apprentices, AL to follow up with Austin Village)
  13. HB to create photo catalogue spreadsheet ‘pro-forma’ for trial
  14. HB to organise a ‘how to’ document for cataloguing photos
  15. HB to discuss trial photo publication with CC
  16. HB to undertake scanner research
  17. DM to provide recommendations as how to ‘merge’ duplicated Index card headings

Archive Project Meeting – 25th August 2016

Austin 7 Clubs Association Archive project, Meeting No.8

Thursday 25th August, 10:30 am

Triumph Sports 6 Club,

36 Main St, Lubenham, Market Harborough LE16 9TF

  1. Those present:

Phil Baildon – Association Archivist
Hugh Barnes – Cambridge Austin 7 and Vintage Car Club
Nick Beck – Scottish and Bristol A7Cs
Chris Charles – Association Web Master
Chris Garner – Association Vice-chair and PWA7C
Dave Martin – Asst Archivist and PWA7C

  1. Apologies for absence

Ruairidh Dunford – Scottish A7 Club
Alan Garaghty – PWA7C
Andy Lowe – Association Chairman and Midlands A7
Nick Turley – PWA7C

  1. Minutes of meeting 7

Were deemed correct

  1. Progress since last meeting
  2. Progress on private collections of Handbooks etc (Action CG, PB)

Both owners of private collections have been spoken to and will be visited by PB and CG in the coming weeks.

  1. Follow up with VSCC regards copyright (Action CG)

No further action has been taken with the VSCC subsequent to guidance received by Hampshire County Council that all of our materials appear to be out of copyright

  1. Digital Archivist progress (Action HB)

Further attempts to encourage our only candidate to reconsider his withdrawal of interest have met with no response to follow up emails. HB will issue another request for help, this time narrowing the tasks required to maintenance of the Excel Catalogue

  1. Paint chart progress – A10 Club project etc (Action HB, PB)

A10 Club have not come back to us since initial contact. PB to chase. HB has borrowed the paint cards from his contact and they are now being photographed by Nick Turley

  1. Delivery of Brochures to HCC arranged (Action HB, PB)

PB will visit HCC Offices on Friday September 2nd to deliver the brochures. He will also collect the two drawing s they have had for sample costing process

  1. Sample drawings identified for digitisation: Wigston and HCC advised of ‘test’ pieces work (Action HB, PB)

PB will deliver the two drawing s used by HCC for sample costing process and direct costing comparison. Wigston quotes to be available for review by next meeting.

During this part of the discussion, it was suggested that we should have a formal process defined as how accessions should be handled. NB will draft ((Action NB)

  1. Provide digitisation technical details to PB for Wigston (Action HB)

Done (PB to check email inbox – HB to resend if necessary)

  1. CC to set up Mailing List (Action CC)

Done. 20 subscribers so far. More to be encouraged. Advertise in Grey Mag, A7Friends and Grey Mag (Action HB)

  1. NB to speak to his local garage (Action NB)

Done. Agreement in principle. NB to pursue. Upholstery sample collection is of interest.

  1. Open Day review

It was agreed by all the day was a great success. We had welcomed some 30 visitors, many of whom had stayed much longer than either we or they expected (Comments on Austin 7 Friends refers to one visitor, arriving at 11am expecting to stay an hour, who was still there as we cleared up at 4pm). Name tags for Project Team members had been a particularly good idea. It was suggested that for a future open day, visitors should also be given something similar. HB will write a piece for the next Grey Mag describing the day. CC to ask his Father to share the photos he took on the day to give an additional set of photos to go with those taken by NT to illustrate the article.

It was agreed we should hold another Open Day in Spring of 2017 – either April or May. PB to look at possible dates. (Action PB, HB, CC)

  1. Photo sorting

This is to be the next piece of work by the Thursday Team. Some discussion was had about best approaches to this work. It is important that a strategy is chosen to avoid duplication of or unnecessary work to keep effort to a minimum. An approach that enabled a catalogue to be produced as part of the work was to be pursued.

It was decided that we should devote the majority of the next meeting to dealing with this.

  1. Archive Web Site review

CC gave a demonstration of the current version of the web site he has built. The Team as a whole were impressed by the quality of the work and CC was congratulated on his approach and efforts generally.

HB said that he wished to see the web site Live at the earliest opportunity but there were a number of issues that required resolution before that could happen. The point was made that when Users first engage with the site, we have to do our utmost to ensure they understand what they are seeing and how they can navigate through the detail. We have one opportunity to catch their interest and, if there are any problems, we will lose them. It will be very difficult to entice them back after that. Consequently, we have to be able to provide as much information as possible to help them with understanding what we have available.

All data sets will require some form of introduction.

  • After review, it has been seen that the Index Cards may not be in the most suitable order for historical research. Many of them seem to be in ‘reverse’ order – ie, the most recent parts come first tracking back by date This might make sense from an ‘engineering’ perspective where an engineer would need details of the most recent revision of a part.

An introductory preamble will be written by PB/DM explaining the order of the cards and the likely reason behind it, the best way to navigate through them (with the possibility of using the Parts List booklet soon to be published). It will also refer to the mini project that we will undertake to re-order the PDFs into chronological order. (Action PB, DM)

  • A similar introduction is required for Handbooks and Parts Books. This will not be as complex as the order is more intuitive as they are published and listed on the web site in date order.

Reference will be made however to the missing items and will contain an appeal for loan or donations of missing items. (Action PB, DM)

  • The Trophy collection will need a lesser introduction as well, but should have some wording. (Action PB, DM)

In readiness for our next tranche of digitisation CC asked to photograph a sample Show Brochure to act as a ‘placeholder’ on the appropriate page on the Archive site. (Action CC)

Following guidance from HCC, all references to Copyright to be removed from the web site. (Action CC)

HB to follow up Honorarium payment to CC with Hon. Treasurer. (Action HB)

RD to be asked to pilot a project in re-ordering the Index cards PDF into chronological order. CC to provide advice on suitable software to do this. (Action HB, CC, RD)

CC to implement a ‘feedback’ option to gather observations on the new web site from Users (Action CC)

  1. Budget Position

As per last meeting, the Project still has some £3500 uncommitted.

  1. Digitisation

PB will be taking the Show Brochures to HCC Friday September 2nd. HB will remind Heather Needham of HCC they are coming. PB will also collect the 2 engineering drawings they have assessed for digitisation. HB raised the prospect of a return to a Heritage Lottery Grant at some time when we have a better understanding of both the photograph collection and, more specifically, the engineering drawing collection. The latter are likely to be individually quite costly to do. HB asked PB to start assessing the number and approximate sizes of drawing we will need to digitise. (Action HB, PB)

  1. Publicity

CG suggested an A5 flyer insert in the Grey Mag. After some discussion it was decided that we would do this in 2017A. This will give us time to prepare the flyer (timescales to short to get it into the next issue) and for the web site to settle down and undego any improvements needed as a result of feedback and review. CG to draft and circulate. CC will reformat the text into a more ‘eye-catching’ format for printing. The Project will bear the cost of any funding required for this. HB to inform Editor and Treasurer (Action HB, CC, CG)

HB will write his usual article for the Grey Mag focussing on the Open Day and the launch of the web site. This will contain a further appeal for a Digital Archivist, albeit with a reduced job specification (mainly maintenance and ownership of the Excel catalogue) (Action HB)

When the web site is launched (likely to be Sunday 28th August, announcements will be made on A7 Friends (both in the ongoing Archive Project Progress thread and an Archive launch specific), Face book and Twitter (Action HB, CC)

It was also decided that in early 2017, we should issue a formal Press release regarding the Project (likely recipients being FBHVC, The Automobile etc) CG to draft (Action CG)

  1. AOB

David Fletcher, recently retired from Bovingdon Tank Museum, was suggested by David Morgan and endorsed by Bob Wyatt as a possible contact who would take the Stanley Edge Military archive. PB will liaise with him to come to Lubenham to review the material.. (Action PB)

CG will follow up with Lincoln Museums regarding the Stanley Edge Clayton Dewandre materials (Action CG)

NT is in contact with Bob Wyatt over recording his ‘oral history’ Other candidates were discussed. HB to discuss with NT his willingness to carry on the project with other candidates. (Action HB, NT)

CG will look at writing something for publication in the Austin Apprentices journal asking for any archive materials that people may wish to donate or loan (Action CG)

The possibility of ‘watermarking’ all Archive images was discussed briefly but no decision taken. The mood of the meeting was this may not be necessary. We will return to this topic in a future meeting. (Action all)

HB reported that a number of other organizations have shown interest in our Project. Mail has been exchanged with the Historic Caravan Club and the TR Register. We have also had contact from the MG Car Club.

  1. Date and time of next meeting

Sunday 9th October following on from the Association Meeting. The Dun Cow, Dunchurch

 

Task List for next meeting:

PB and CG to arrange to meet with owners of collection of archive materials

HB to advertise for someone to maintain the Excel Catalogue file

PB to follow up with A10 Drivers Club re paint sample project

PB to deliver show brochures to HCC and collect the 2 sample engineering drawings

PB to deliver the 2 engineering drawings for quotation. Quotation to be available for next meeting

NB to draft Accessions/Catalogue process document

HB to advertise Archive Mailing List

NB to maintain contact with local garage (particularly re upholstery samples)

PB to consider date of next Open Day

CC to provide photos of Open Day

HB to write Open Day article for Grey Mag

PB/DM to write introductory pieces for each style of digitised material

CC to implement ‘place holder’  image for show brochures

CC to remove references to copyright from web site

HB to discuss with Assn. Treasurer Web Master’s honorarium.

RD to undertake pilot project in re-ordering index card pdfs

CC to provide RD with appropriate software for his task

HB to remind HCC of our delivery/collection of materials

CG to draft ‘flyer’ for 2017A Grey Mag

HB to discuss flyer with Treasurer and Editor

CC to instigate go live of archive web site Sunday 28th August

HB to do appropriate announcements on A7Friends, CC to deal with Facebook and Twitter

CG to draft Press release for early 2017

PB to follow up with contact for Stanley Edge Military material

CG to follow up with Lincoln Museums re Clayton Dewandre materials

NT to undertake oral history recording with Bob Wyatt

HB to discuss with NT opportunities for further interviews

CG to consider appeal to Austin Apprentices for any archive materials they could loan or donate

 

 

First batch of digitised material

Cn9TOZAWEAAUklaOn Thursday 21st July 2016, members of the Archive Project were joined by staff from Hampshire County Council and Austin Seven Owners in Winchester for the handover of the first batch of digitised material.

This marks the beginning of the digitisation of materials from the Archive in Lubenham.

All the original material will be available for viewing at the Open Day in August.

Archive Open Day

The Archive Room of the Austin Seven Clubs’ Association will be open from 10.00am ‘til 4.00pm on Sunday 14 August. The Archive has a large number of original handbooks and parts books, advertising literature, brochures, drawings, Stanley Edge and Bert Hadley material, together with a fine selection of cups and awards. Progress to date on our digitising project will also be on display. This is an opportunity to look at the vast amount of resource we have and meet up with members of the Archive Team and fellow enthusiasts.

No appointment necessary – just turn up. We will be delighted to see you. Refreshments are available with some good pubs in the village!

The Archives are situated at: The Triumph Sports Car Club Limited premises, Sunderland Court, Main Street, Lubenham, Leicestershire LE16 9TF. (Situated four miles west of Market Harborough on the A4304. Parking available on site).

Archive Project Meeting – 10th July 2016

Austin 7 Clubs Association Archive project, Meeting No.7

Sunday July 10th

The Dun Cow,

The Green, Dunchurch, Rugby CV22 6NJ

  1. Those present:

Phil Baildon – Association Archivist
Hugh Barnes – Cambridge Austin 7 and Vintage Car Club
Nick Beck – Bristol and Scottish Austin 7 Club
Chris Charles – Web Master
Chris Garner – Association Vice-chair and PWA7C
Andy Lowe – Association Chairman and Midlands A7 Club

  1. Apologies for absence

Ruairidh Dunford – Scottish A7 Club
Dave Martin – Asst Archivist and PWA7C
Nick Turley – PWA7C

  1. Minutes of meeting 6

Were deemed correct

  1. Progress since last meeting
    1. Approach those with known collections of Handbooks (Action PB, CG)

CG has spoken to well known A7 owner and has been invited to visit him to review his collection. As that is quite a distance, Chris can claim mileage for that trip

CG and PB have spoken to a leading motoring bookseller and have been invited to review his private collection

  1. Create Spreadsheet catalogue for all Handbooks and Parts Lists (Action AL)

Complete. As well as Parts Lists and Handbooks, Oil charts have been included

  1. Specification for Archive Web pages complete (Action HB, CC, RD)

Complete

  1. Archive web pages development commenced (Action CC)

See item 6

  1. Open day plan complete at detailed level (Action PB, All)

See Item 7

  1. Photographer and Article author secured for Open Day

See item 7

  1. Copyright research (Action CG, HB)

CG will ask of VSCC for any experience they have had in this area

  1. Trophy storage extended

Complete. Storage has now been arranged for a further year at a cost of £576. Costs to be borne by general Association funds, not project

  1. Photos counted (Action PB, AG, DM)

In progress. A lengthy process See item 5

  1. Initial ordering and catalogue of photos in progress (Action PB, AG, DM)

As above

  1. Digital Archivist post re-advertised (Action CG)

Done. HB to contact person who showed interest in the post but then withdrew

  1. Paper for Association requesting additional funding (Action HB)

Compete. See item 8

  1. Collection arrangements from HCC in hand (Action PB, CG)

See item 9

  1. Publicity of Project and greater involvement in Forum etc (Action All)

Ongoing

  1. Paint charts access from Cambs A7 owner (Action HB)

Loan agreed but details need sorting out. They are not for long term loan and details of how and when they are to be used need to be worked out. HB to discuss with PB

This is a joint project started by A10DC (Tony Mealing) to put modern paint references to the unknown base colours of prewar charts. PB has already sent Tony a photocopy from about 20 show brochures within our archive.

 

  1. Photo Collection sorting

Work has started by the Thursday group with initial sorting having seen duplicates and irrelevant photos weeded out. First sub-sorting is into cars/people/places and will develop from there.

  1. Archive Web page development update

CC gave a demonstration of his initial prototype work on the Archive pages. He has.  built a completely new set of pages that will be added to the Association web site when complete. Early progress is encouraging and met with the group’s complete approval. Chris is keen to get hold of the digital images from HCC to load.

  1. Open Day

PB shared with the group a detailed plan both in what would happen before and on the day and a schematic showing where everything will be placed. The staffing of the hourly rota was discussed. It was decided that a minimum of 10 people would be required on the day. A quick discussion showed that those 10 people could come from the Project Team. Other aspects of discussion were

There should be specific invitations to the following:

  • Tim Thornton, Jeweller (responsible for some of the Trophy restoration)
  • Members of the Hadley family
  • Peter MacFadyen – independent photographer and ‘Automobile’ magazine
  • Bob Wyatt – Association President
  • Michael Ware – ex Beaulieu. AL to invite

It was agreed that we could show the Austin Publicity films on the laptop. AL to provide DVD if needed.

Hazel Gore to be approached to give history of the full size RP saloon drawing

Chris Garner will supply some wording for CC to put on the home page of the Assn. Web site. HB will ask for the event to be advertised on the home page of A7Friends.com

I think it got overlooked in discussion – have we arranged for a photographer and article Author for the event?

  1. Budget

A further £5000 has been agreed from Association funds. With monies already committed and further estimates for Brochure digitisation and Web development Honorarium taken into account, the Project now has £3500 in reserve.

  1. Digitisation

HCC have completed the first tranche of work. That will be collected by a local Chummy owner (to be arranged through Bernard Griffiths). PB will talk to Bernard Griffith to arrange. Collection planned for a day between Monday 18th July and Friday 29th July. HB to alert HCC. CC will let PB and CG know when he will be in Brighton and can attend. Project will be represented by PB, CG and CC.

PB will deliver the Austin Brochures to HCC on Friday 2nd September

A discussion took place regarding digitisation of engineering drawings already at Leicester CC (Wigston). It was agreed that they should be asked to digitise one drawing as a sample and HCC asked to digitise another so a comparison could be made. CG suggested the engine and gearbox drawings would be ideal. HB to provide digitisation technical details to PB for Wigston.

  1. Publicity

CC plans to set up a mailing list that interested parties can sign up for. This will be for circulating news related to the Archive Project only..

  1. AOB

NB to pursue his connection with a local garage (to him) who may have a collection of interesting items

  1. Date of next meeting

Thursday 18th August at Lubenham, 10:30am

Task List for next Meeting

  1. Progress on private collections of Handbooks etc (Action CG, PB)
  2. Follow up with VSCC regards copyright (Action CG)
  3. Digital Archivist progress (Action HB)
  4. Paint chart progress – A10 Club project etc (Action HB, PB)
  5. Delivery of Brochures to HCC arranged (Action HB, PB)
  6. Sample drawings identified for digitisation: Wigston and HCC advised of ‘test’ pieces work (Action HB, PB)
  7. Provide digitisation technical details to PB for Wigston (Action HB)
  8. CC to set up Mailing List (Action CC)
  9. NB to speak to his local garage (Action NB)

Task List for Open Day

  1. Invites extended to specific guests (Action PB)
  2. Photographer and Article author arranged (Action PB)
  3. Staffing rota circulated (Action PB)
  4. Hazel Gore approached re RP drawing history (Action PB)
  5. Austin publicity film show arranged and tested (Action PB, AL)
  6. Chummy owner arranged for materials collection (Action PB)
  7. Collection of materials from HCC arranged (HB et al)
  8. Event advertised on Assn Web site and A7Friends.com (Action CG and HB)

 

New Secretary – Hugh Barnes

Hugh Barnes is in the process of taking over as Secretary of the A7CA from Bob Prophet who is standing down. Hugh is a member of the Cambridge Austin Seven and Vintage Car Club and a long standing owner of Sevens, dabbling also in MGs and Rileys. For the past year Hugh has headed up the team reorganising and digitising the Association Archives.

The A7CA would like to thank Bob Prophet for his work with the Committee over the last three years.